Our Community Values
The Sink is committed to improving the strength and sustainability of the Boulder community. For 95+ years, we have engaged in active participation within the community and focused on our environmental efforts to reduce our carbon footprint.
Environmentally speaking, our efforts have resulted in a drastic reduction of our environmental impact as a business. Since 2006 we’ve been actively participating, at all levels of our operations, to reduce our overall footprint. We’re very proud to have our efforts certified by “Partners for a Clean Environment” and to be honored as “Eco Hero’s” by the “Boulder County Business Report” (2009). The list below details some of the significant accomplishments of our continuing efforts…
- Since 2006 we have reduced our power consumption by almost 10%.
- Also in 2006 we partnered with “Renewable Choice Energy” and converted to using Wind Power exclusively.
- As a part of our standard business model, each department uses only compostable or recyclable disposables.
- Our water conservation efforts include low-flow fixtures, low flow sprayers, water-efficient dishwashers and 100% waterless urinals.
- We actively recycle.
- We use high-efficiency lighting throughout our restaurant.
- The Sink is cooled in the summer by an evaporative cooling system.
The restaurant side of our business is undoubtedly the largest consumer of renewable resources. In our customer and catering kitchens, we have employed the following conservation efforts…
- Our used fryer grease is recycled for Bio-Fuel.
- Our “to-go” boxes are 100% compostable.
- We offer our customers the choice of 100% Grass-Fed Beef.
- When in season, we support local farmers and use locally-grown produce.
- We’re proud members of “Greening the Hill Partnership”.
- Our water consumption is down by 30%.